Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Always On My Mind

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Colossians 3:17

Image result for on our minds
Source: Chicago Tabernacle


You will read this often as I write. I am not a perfect person. I am not coming here to tell you how you should live your life, but rather this is meant to be more of a way for me to share how God is working in mine. I am a completely imperfect person who has been saved by the unfailing love and grace of Jesus. He is molding and shaping me each day, so it is my hope and prayer that you may find this journey I am traveling helpful to you as you are walking through yours.

The verse above is what has been printed on my heart this morning and really has been something He has been working on in me for some time. In this world that we live in, it is so easy to become submerged in the things of this world, like fancy gadgets, television shows, hit music, new clothes, shiny cars, video games, etc. The list goes on and on and on. We can live out our day only focusing on these things and have the name Jesus not even scroll across the marquee in our brain at all. Not once. I hate to admit it, but I still find myself having days like this now and again, and I can say that at the end of these days, I feel empty and unfulfilled.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the things I listed above are necessarily bad things. Just wait for it. I am about to say something that is going to blow your mind. Are you ready? You can enjoy these things and glorify God at the same time. I know, I know. You are probably thinking that this just cannot be. How can I glorify God by getting new clothes??? I read a great definition for glorifying God on desiringgod.org in a message by John Piper. He said, "'Glorifying' means feeling and thinking and acting in ways that reflect His greatness." When we get new clothes, instead of hoarding all of the old ones too (I'm raising my hand, guilty here too), we can donate those old clothes to someone who needs them more than we do. Wouldn't that be acting in a way that reflects His greatness? Or while you are playing video games with your friends, why not use that as a chance to share with them the amazing love that Christ has for us?

God is omnipresent. He is everywhere and in everything. He created everything. There is nothing in this world that you will not be able to find Him in some way or another. I could explain that even more another time in another post. My point though is, since He is everywhere and in everything, He can be in everything we say and do. But before that happens, we must first keep Him in our hearts and on our minds. On our minds...that's tricky. I believe that every person has a hunger for the love and fulfillment that Christ provides. What we put into our minds, comes out in our words and actions. If we are reading His word, going to church, and surrounding us with those who speak His truth, we will begin to act and speak that which we have heard and read from those sources.

There have been so many times, I have said "I don't have time for that" or "I'm too busy." God is teaching me that I am never too busy for Him and that when I devote time to Him, I end up having more time. He really is amazing and all powerful in that way. Putting Him first in my mind and in my heart is truly fulfilling and the only way to find my joy even in the most stressful of times. My challenge to myself and to you today is this...Keep Him in your mind all day. Pray to Him often. When you find your mind slipping away from Him, see if you can think about how He is working in whatever you are doing at the moment. In this way, you will train your brain to be on Him in everything you do and say.

Father God, thank you for your amazing omnipresence. You are everywhere and always with us, even when we may not notice it. Help us to find you in everything that we do today. Guard our hearts and lead us to sources that fill us up with you, so that everything we say and do brings you glory. Open our hearts and minds to all that you have planned for us today. Thank you for hearing our prayers and loving us unconditionally. In Jesus' name, AMEN.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this and i will follow you on here and read it all. I love you so much aunt brianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was helpful to you. I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Stepping On My Own Toes

Aunt-Mom Monday/Bible Truth Tuesday The view from my porch one night. My littles playing in the yard as the sun was setting. I think thi...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *