Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Writing Prompt Wednesday - Tears are Words

Thank you for joining me on our first "Writing Prompt Wednesday." I am so excited to see what words come out with this prompt. If you come across a prompt or have something you would like me to write about on a future Writing Prompt Wednesday, leave it in the comments or send it to me privately through the contact form. I would love to read your ideas. Thanks!

Prompt: Paulo Coelho has said, "Tears are words that need to be written." What always brings tears to your eyes?

I am a teacher and now an aunt-mom to three beautiful kids. Most recently, I have been guilty of shedding buckets of happy tears. When I first read the quote above by Paulo Coelho, it was like a light bulb went off. This quote rings so true for me. The moments that I am experiencing extreme pain or happiness, the moments that draw tears to my eyes, are the moments that I tend to write about. These are the moments that I need to write in order to work out my feelings and process what is happening in my life.

In my role as a teacher, this is the time of year that I tend to shed the most happy tears. Tomorrow is the last day of school. My class and I have now been together for the last 36 weeks. We have shared laughter, love, frustration, and yes...tears. Each year is like a new adventure. We begin the year as strangers and end the year as a piece of each other's hearts. When I look back on the year and I see how far my students have come and how much they have grown, tears are always brought to my eyes. Happy tears. Proud tears. Bittersweet tears.

I am blessed to teach where I do. I not only get to witness my students grow physically and academically, but I get to guide them in growing spiritually as well. This is by far the most rewarding part of my job. When a student tells me at the end of the year that I helped them grow closer to Jesus, I know that I did my job exactly the way I was supposed to in spite of the long nights, parent meetings, and frustrations throughout the year. Pretty much every time a student says something along those lines, the tears start flowing. It is like each tear represents a happy memory and when I look at it like that, my tears are really gifts. In happy or sad times, when we cry, each tear is a gift from God. Our tears mean that we have experienced love. When I cry happy tears for my students it is because God has given me the chance to love and be loved by them in a way that fosters physical, academic and spiritual growth within them. When I cry sad tears, it is usually because a loved one has passed or that I am in the midst of a disagreement with someone. Those tears also mean that I have loved and have been loved. It means I care enough to be sad about that situation.

Many times tears are seen as bad, but I think that God has beautifully designed us in a way that our tears heal our hearts. I guess to give a straightforward answer to the prompt above, I would have to say... having experienced an overwhelming sense of love. This is what always brings tears to my eyes.


Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Matthew 5:4




Thank you for reading! Comment below what always brings tears to your eyes. I would love to see what you have to say about this topic.

As always...Rejoice in the truth of Christ's love today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stepping On My Own Toes

Aunt-Mom Monday/Bible Truth Tuesday The view from my porch one night. My littles playing in the yard as the sun was setting. I think thi...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *